The Award is destined to encourage and stimulate interest in joint environmental action in the Islamic world and openness to global experiences in the protection of the environment from an Islamic perspective, while working towards preserving its resources and addressing sustainable development issues in general, through recognizing the merits of the efforts of individuals and institutions concerned with the management of natural resources for the benefit of present and future generations alike.
The Award is dedicated to outstanding works carried out by individuals and public as well as private institutions and organizations operating in the various fields of the environment and sustainable development, in recognition of their substantial contributions to reconciling the environment and socio-economic development through a holistic and integrated approach that advances the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, in line with the Islamic principles calling for the sustainability of the world’s resources to fulfill Man’s needs, prosperity and lieutenancy on earth.
The Award is also aimed at consolidating and adopting the broad concept of environmental management in the Islamic world, which calls for making good use of natural resources and protecting them from depletion and pollution, through instituting and disseminating the principles and methods of sound environmental governance in public, private and non-governmental development sector institutions and organizations in the Islamic world.
Other objectives include stepping up the efforts to achieve human and environmental security, improving the quality of life of Muslim peoples and other peoples of the world, preserving the right of all generations to clean environment, mobilizing the efforts of the Ummah and institutions to come up with scientific and practical innovative solutions to current and future environmental problems, and fostering scientific and legal interaction at the global, regional and national levels in addressing environment and sustainable development issues and adapting them to the reality of the Islamic world.
The Award is granted every two years and the date shall be determined when opening of nominations is announced. The deadline for reception of submissions shall also be announced. The Award shall be presented at the opening session of the Islamic Conference of Environment Ministers, which is organized by the Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (ISESCO), in cooperation with the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the General Authority of Meteorology and Environmental Protection of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Award Higher Committee may choose any other date.
The Award of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for Environmental Management in the Islamic World covers five categories:
- Best individual or collective research, achievement or practice in the environment and sustainable development, particularly those addressing specific environmental issues of concern to or may potentially benefit the Muslim world.
- Best practice in environment and sustainable development projects or activities in the public sector in the Member States.
- Best practice in environment and sustainable development projects or activities in the private sector in the Member States.
- Best leading practices or activities in the environment and sustainable development in non-governmental organizations that can be replicated in the Member States.
- Best environmentally-friendly Islamic city that meets the conditions and commitments to achieve environmental, social and economic sustainability.